Sunday, February 24, 2019

Is It Poison, Nanny?


I absolutely love Sherlock Holmes. From favorites like Basil Rathbone, Peter Cushing, Jeremy Brett, Robert Downey Jr, and Benedict Cumberbach, I can never get enough of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Baker Street detective.


This is the door/wall that leads up to my studio - the Holmes drawing on the right was done by my friend Jarrod Alberich, better known as The Yard Sale Artist. I've already decided (though my wife doesn't know it yet!) that the next new horse to come to the farm will be named either "Watson" or "221B" 😃


These figures come from Wargames Illustrated and are part of their 'Giants In Miniature' line. There are a lot of really great figures in this line if you've never seen them. These two have now unfortunately been retired, so if you're after them the secondary market will be the only place to find them.


Holmes is modeled after Robert Downey Jr. and his portrayal of the great detective in the Guy Ritchie films.


Our ever faithful Watson, modeled after Jude Law.


One can never have enough Sherlock Holmes figures and I think this set makes five different ones for me now.


While reorganizing the shelves that hold my books and magazines I found an old sketch pad with an unfinished (big surprise there right!? even 30 years ago I wasn't finishing projects lol!) drawing of Sherlock Holmes I did in college with charcoal. It's too bad to, because this was one of my favorites.

And finally a quick welcome to new follower Robb M, really appreciate you following the blog 🙂

Until next time, thanks for looking!
Ivor

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You can draw ... a real artist! I suck ... stick figures for me ;-)

      Delete
    2. LOL! That was a long long time ago my friend - I find it way more hilarious that I wasn't completing things even back in the day :)

      Delete
  2. Basil Rathbone is Holmes like Sean Connery is Bond to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right there with you George, Rathbone was my first introduction to the character - it's just too bad that they made Nigel Bruce's Watson such a complete bumbler.

      Delete
  3. Like yourself Ivor I'm also a big fan, those two are a good look the part & you done a right good paint job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a dolls house that the miniatures are in? That might be a brilliant idea. 😀

    Nicely painted figures, look a lot like the movie characters. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! The interior photo is actually the 4Ground Saloon from their Dead Man's Hand range, the furniture is all 4Ground as well - I built it a few years ago and went stupid crazy on changes and upgrades (wallpaper throughout for example). Here's a link if you're interested https://saturdaymornings13.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-4ground-saloon.html

      Delete
  5. Nothing "elementary" about these Ivor ;-)
    Top notch stuff as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I like what you did there 🤣 Thanks a lot!

      Delete