Saturday, March 30, 2019

That Must Be A Peach Of A Hand


Or, "Maybe poker just isn't your game Ike. I know let's have a spelling contest."
I really wanted that to be the title of this post but it wouldn't fit dammit!


These are a bunch of Knuckleduster old west figures I got from the Kickstarter for Gunfighter's Ball - more on that KS in a future posts - and they were painted up by my mate Arthur.


The can-can girls are just brilliant! And the clear bases work a treat for them.


What I really love about the entire Knuckleduster line is the uniqueness of the figures and poses. Does anyone else make a woman sitting on a cowboys lap?


Here is one of the ladies of the saloon trying to upsell appetizers with the drink order at table three.


I was really skeptical that the clear bases wouldn't work on the can-can dancers because of only having one foot available to glue to the base and the balance issue that could cause. But yet again these bases haven't let me down and there is absolutely no issue with the glue or balance. Now these girls can even dance in the streets and their bases won't look out of place lol!


The barkeep and saloon lady. Arthur did an amazing job on that apron!


Sitting cowboy without his can-can friend.


Well look at that, he's found a friend. I'm sure she's only there for the stimulating conversation.


I wanted to try to make the stacks of chips be random with different colors, but my attempts were pretty awful so each stack ended up one color only. But if it were really me at that table, with my OCD, I'd have everyone's stacks the same color anyway! I really like Wild Bill Hickock in the back.


I still have another three poker tables to finish up, along with a faro table. I also need to grab the Knuckleduster pool table set to complete all the saloon games.


I've also begun to read up on the Gunfighter's Ball rules and they look really good, except for movement. You have to roll for movement?!?! As someone who can't even roll out of bed successfully you can imagine my face when I read that when on horse back, for example, you roll 2d10 (foot is 1d10) - knowing full well I'll be rolling snake eyes like it was my job lol! Two inches for movement while riding a horse? Again, I've yet to actually play a game, but it seems incredibly silly to have die rolls be your movement - to me that's a board game mechanic. If anyone has played the game I'd really love to hear your thoughts, especially since I'm already thinking of house ruling this.


Oh Kickstarter... I received this email not too long ago but not sure it's really something to be proud of!


I do need to be a wee bit more selective on what I back going forward - but only after I back Crooked Dice's latest KS for some boss pulp figures lol! Mola Ram? Yes please!

As always, thanks for looking!
Ivor

21 comments:

  1. Wow what an excellent looking set & models Ivor I' really am very impressed by the whole lot, the rolling for moving is an odd one alright I do know of games that get you to roll if running, so you'd roll say a d6 & add it to your movement kind of thing, but having said all that, Astounding Tales does roll dice for moving cars, it work on the faster your going the more dice you roll top speed is 5d6 & when I did that car chase awhile back I was just waiting to roll 5 1's while at top speed lol

    My advice would be go with what ever works best for you with moving, if you wanted to keep thing a bit random for the horse's for doing the likes of a chase then maybe 6+d6 might be the way to go, but who am I to tell you about horse's ? ;)

    Before I go I just want to say I'm glad to see you spending you own money as well as helping others to spend theirs :)

    PS 3 points for Spurs tomorrow Coys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll address your last comment first lol! This will be the match where Mo breaks out of his little funk 🙂 Much like last year when he dribbled through 15 of your players and two stewards to score what should have been the match winner, he will score a jaw dropper to win the game 😃

      See, I'm right there with you on rolling the lowest possible number on your driving example, that would be me all day long! It will be interesting to hear the thoughts of those that have played GB - certainly modifiers can be taken into account for movement in games, but I just have a hard time thinking that you can't move somewhere because of a really bad roll - it seems like it can effect the game in a way I'm not used to at all.

      Delete
    2. Don't worry Ivor Spurs have only won up there about 3 times in over 100 years, an old saying of mine Ivor, everybody rolls 1's its when there rolled that matters ;)

      Delete
    3. Let's just make 101 years 😃 We're too close and honestly who wants City to win the league again?
      What I really need is a t-shirt that says "That's How I Roll... Unfortunately"

      Delete
  2. Wow superbacker! That’s an outstanding old west set up there. The figures just come to life with all that stuff around. Really looks like a movie.
    “I have two guns, one for each of ya.”
    😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Stew! I always like having lots of 'real life' details in buildings and on the table.
      I've got the Earp gang with Doc from Tombstone post coming up soon 🙂

      Delete
  3. I am teetering on selling all my Wild West or adding (Tombstone) to them. Love the figures but can’t help thinking one of the cardsharps should have a gun under the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't sell, you'll end up regretting it! You know what, you're absolutely right, Knuckleduster needs to make a figure holding a gun under a table! Definitely need to mention that to Forrest 🙂

      Delete
  4. They look great. I still play 'Legends of the old west' on a regular basis. . . . . . Do I need more figures???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! Old west figures are kind of like pulp figures for me, I know I don't need any more - ever! - but can't stop buying them because each are so different and unique.

      Delete
  5. Great set of westerners to populate and town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful job, atmospheric and superb...I'll come back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word, they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rolling for movement is ok with me. I do it like RWNN which uses more dice. What I don't like with Gunfighter's Ball is counting Ammo expenditure. So rather than counting bullets, if yu roll "doubles" when you fire (00, 11, 22, 33, 44, 66, 77, 88, 99) you are out of ammo. Why not 55? That is already included in the rules as a misfire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, I think the percentages to hit when shooting are way too high. So, I edited them. I moved every firing percentage down one column. So, what used to be the percentage for Medium is not Close. And so forth. Works much better for the games I've put on. Not everyone dies on the first turn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and reloading requires a skill test. Easy for Gunmen and Shootists, Average for Citizens. Wounded ups it one level. Mortal another level.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for another comment. I forgot to add that I use the ammo on the backs of the cards for how many times your character can reload before they are out of ammo for good. Each time you reload, you cross out that whole section of ammo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - after playing several games of GB since this post I still stand by my initial thoughts on rolling for movement, just not a fan 🤷‍♂️
      It's a great game but like you we tweak a few things - I like the idea of the percentages being adjusted, we would have models taken out straight away turn one too (that Black Deck is brutal too).

      Delete