Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Vaqueros


I go through these cycles where I obsess on certain genres and I am currently back into an Old West type of theme big time right now. So I've finally gotten some of my Knuckleduster Vaqueros based up, with a couple of mounted Boot Hill models and a couple of GEG figures too.


As I start working on the Alamo (see way below), I think these types of figures will be a fun way to get some mileage out of the Alamo model with some Hollywood-esque gunfights in and around it while I begin to collect Mexican army figures for the real showstopper of a battle.





I think I can use this model in the cowboy gang from Tombstone seeing as he has a red sash and all.






These mounted Boot Hill models are just fantastic.


I have made a pretty hefty order from BH for some Alamo defenders so hopefully those will be here soon and I can start on those.



Remember the Alamo? Yeah, blame for that joke is going solely to Kieron but it's absolutely hilarious and believe me, it is going to beaten like a dead horse over the next year or so lol!


I got a really nice prime and initial painting of the walls done with a color that I'm super happy with. I've just begun to work on some of the wood on the roofs,etc. Regarding the roofs I'm not 100% sure on my color choice. I went with something lighter in tone as I figured the sun would have 'bleached' it more, but I'm not sure. Maybe it should be darker?


This is the first time I've ever worked with a foam model and it's been pretty fun. Painting has been super easy, and what's going to be nice is all the areas where the pull from the mold has left bubbles or imperfections, all of that can easily be fixed with the Pegasus Models bricks I have and railroad ballast for dirt and rocks.


This week will be the annual Conneaut D-Day living history event and I'm really looking forward to it as this is the 75th anniversary of D-Day - and they are pulling out all the stops to say the least. They have a C-47 that you can purchase tickets for and take a ride in, so I'm really thinking that I need to do this!


The big Allies v Axis football match is on my Friday schedule so looking forward to that.  Can't wait to share photos with everyone in the next couple of weeks.

As Always, thanks for looking!
Ivor

22 comments:

  1. I too have a Mexican gang which generally fit the movie competence of such yet I still have faith. Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those min's look great and the Alamo board looks like it is going to be something special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Riot! Looking forward to getting the Alamo ready for some AAR's 🙂

      Delete
  3. Thats an excellent first picture, the group blend together very well, I like the way you have gone for a subdued palette it looks very good.
    I still think you are bonkers with the Alamo but its going to be fun seeing it come together and as you say it will give you a good backdrop to western games.
    After your good,bad and ugly post you had me looking at knuckleduster figures again, they are very nice and as I'm not really a fan of the new Black Scorpion figures they will probably be the way i go if I need more characters, allthough I bought almost all the set before they started to discontinue some.
    Hope you enjoy D Day more than the guys who were there.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot John! Yeah, I'm going to agree with you on being bonkers for attempting the Alamo lol! Especially when I think about the amount of figures needed.
      I've got some extra Knuckleduster and Black Scorpion figures I'd like to send over to you, look for an email from me 🙂

      Delete
  4. That is some seriously good progress. I am looking forward to seeing a game played in your Alamo scenery - DMH or something will look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking cowboys there, a real rough and tumble group of gun fighters.

    The Alamo is coming along nicely and certainly needs to be used as often as possible. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Stew! Having a lot of fun working on the Alamo right now 🙂

      Delete
  6. Wowthat some force; I love the more realistic, faded colours and detail on these figures.
    Alamo ? - Good luck with it, I suspect it'll be a long hard grind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe! Yeah, the Alamo will be years away from trying to play out that final assualt 🙂

      Delete
  7. Hi Santa Anna we're killing your soldiers below, so the rest of Texas will know & remember the Alamo.

    A massive project your undertaking Ivor, you must be mad but then as I always say you don't have to be mad but it does help lol those models you have on show look wonderful mate & as for the Alamo building that just wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Appreciate it Frank! It's always madness at the Saturday Mornings studio :)

      Delete
  8. Vaqueros and the Alamo both looking superb. This is going to be really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin! Excited to get it into a game soon 😃

      Delete
  9. Oh, HOT DAMN!! Look at you ... getting ON THAT ALAMO!!! Awesome Ivor! Really looking forward to see this in all its glory :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks man, it's been really fun painting it up, and I've actually gotten a lot more done since this post 😃

      Delete