Sunday, November 17, 2019

US 7th Cavalry Mounted


Lots of figures getting based up recently, the first being of the mounted variety. This group is the US 7th cavalry from Artizan.


I completely forgot to do a year in review and goals for 2019 post but getting mounted figures completed was definitely on the top of any and all 'to do' lists I had.


The nice thing is I think these can be used in several types of skirmish games.


I'm sure they will see action in Dead Man's Hand and Gunfighter's Ball, in scenarios very Hollywood-esque along the lines of the John Ford cavalry film trilogy.


To even something like Peckinpah's Major Dundee could be really fun, as this guy almost has the exact face of James Coburn's character Sam Potts - of course the outfit is all wrong, but still, pretty solid likeness in my eyes.


This guy wins Movember 😂


And it's always fun to get more horses completed too, as all the riders are able to be taken off their mounts so corrals can be fully stocked.


Next up are some mounted robbers - it's been so long since I purchased these guys (big surprise right) and I can't for the life of me remember who the manufacturer is, though I'm leaning towards Artizan again.


A little variety with this group weapons wise as opposed to the cavalry, with this robber brandishing a rifle.


And a shotgun.


This guys hat makes me think he's probably from Kansas, and a former member of the outlaw groups there, as all he needs is a feather in it - maybe that could be a fun side project.


And finally I would like to say welcome and thank you to new follower of the blog Esben Christiansen, really appreciate you following along 😀

As always, thanks for looking!
Cheers!
Ivor

30 comments:

  1. Very nice Ivor they really look wonderful, ? what did you use to make the oval bases as they look much better then the rectangle ones I made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Frank! They are the punches from EK Tools, like the round bases I make, but these list under EK Success punches if you're looking to buy for yourself 🙂

      Delete
  2. Nice, were you considering using them with Dracula's America or Black Scorpion Miniature Tombstone game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally forgot about Dracula's America - I recently got an incredible deal on Ebay for all three books plus a faction box for $50.00 US, so that is definitely another option 🙂

      Delete
    2. It is an interesting setting, I'm trying to make a Dark Confederacy Posse, but ran into some size issue I have to figure out how to get around, so many things need to be done before Christmas.

      Delete
    3. It definitely is a fascinating setting, one of the main reasons I decided to make that purchase. I know exactly what you mean about trying to get stuff done!

      Delete
  3. Dynamic and splendid US cavalry...and beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil! I do like those rocks, I should have taken a wider photo to get more of them in the shots 😀

      Delete
  4. Very nice.
    Love the masks the robbers are wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Mike! Can never have enough masked bandits 😀

      Delete
  5. A great looking set of mounted figures the one 5th down is a dead ringer for the disreputable seaman that Artizan do, I think he's my favourite figure.
    Nicely painted bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John! Agreed, that 5th one down is my favorite as well 🙂

      Delete
  6. Great job on these cav, really smashing. May they bring law and order or more chaos to the western frontier. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Stew! I'd probably figure they'll be bringing equal parts order AND chaos lol!

      Delete
  7. Always had a fascination for the 7th and Custer, damn that fellow Benteen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, very interesting characters and campaign.

      Delete
  8. Greta looking cavalry and well done avoiding the Hollywood look (no yellow kneckerchiefs in view).
    Your 'outlaws' look like they're straight out of the TV seried deadwood - I like them a lot !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe! Unfortunately I'll be following many Hollywood tropes in the future with my figure painting lol!

      Delete
  9. Love em! Very nicely done.

    Outlaws could also be former CSA cavalry post-war raiders!

    ReplyDelete
  10. (Outlaw Josie Wales comes to mind...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I seem to remember the HBO series 'Hell on Wheels' having a similar post war Confederate robber group too.

      Delete
  11. Those look superb, Ivor. Love those clear bases too!

    ReplyDelete