Monday, June 26, 2017

Table Two Part Duex : The Update

By some bit of incredible luck I actually got about 14 hours uninterrupted work up in the studio on Saturday and then another 7 on Sunday morning and afternoon before heading out to the barn and couldn't be happier with the results! So the basic table is set, lots of detail work on the buildings to complete as well as debris throughout the destroyed areas but super pleased overall.



Here are a few of my favorite parts of the build so far - I found a really neat Suze sign for the side of the three story building. I need to weather it up a bit though.


And a close up of the sign, and just for fun I put Oddball and his Sherman in front of it :)


I had several of the Lemax cobblestone mats from Christmas time sitting around so I cut those up to make my streets, and I think they look the business.


I needed to make sure I had cuts where the foam boards connected as well, so unfortunately I have several cuts throughout the streets which is a bit disappointing, but surely something I'm going to focus on more than anyone else.


I ended up deciding to pull the ruined church off it's base I originally had it on as it allowed me a bit more play with where I could place the church.


And you can see the final spot I decided on below.


I brought the cobblestone street down in front of the church and then turned it a bit so it goes off the edge of the table. And I also have a nice crossroads that will surely be a contested area.


And the completed street. Still was playing around with what exactly I wanted to go across from the hill - at that point I had another bombed out building, but end up deciding on a fenced field.


Like the other table I made some raised hill areas so the board wouldn't be a football pitch. I used Woodland Scenics plaster cloth to build the hill over the newspaper and foam board.


At this point I'd got flock done around the church and made a dirt path to the cobblestone. Much destruction needs to be redone around the church and bomb craters now that it's off its base.


A partial vegetable field. What's neat about the board is I will easily be able to expand it from any side to make it 6x4 or 8x4 or 6x6. I think that could be pretty fun - to try to recreate a little town.


Looking down the back street.


And an overview of the table with all the buildings placed and almost completely flocked.


Meanwhile, back over on the other board, I thought it would be fun to get some Hydra banners on the manor just to give it a bit more of that Hollywood flavor.


I found some banners online, sized and printed them out and then decided to try something different with them. I glued them onto tinfoil as I thought that it would give them more of a "wavey" look.


And I think I got the look I was after :)


So yeah, I've really almost got a Bolt Action board don't I!? I'm sure I'll use it for that too, but the narrative I'm looking for here is Agent Carter and the Howling Commandos in a race against Hydra to find the Tesseract or some other object of power hidden in the church. So in a way very much like the beginning of the first Captain America movie, except this time Hydra will have a tougher opponent to get the Tesseract. I'd really like to utilize at least one of those blue lights I bought to make the major plot point a bit more recognizable on the table, so we'll see if I can make that happen. The other thing is that it's becoming clearer that the 7TV rules really won't fit with this new narrative I'm going for, so it looks like I'll be changing to Pulp Alley - which means I need to start writing up some leagues and getting some test games in. I think this will be a good thing as the test games I ran the 7TV rules, which are really written for two people, needed a lot of modifications to work with four players (and especially being a convention game too, but that could also just be my inexperience with the rules set, no real knock on 7TV). I know Pulp Alley will have no issues handling four players so more on that soon.

Lots happening, moving in the right direction, let's just hope I can keep getting a few days of uninterrupted studio time :)

As always, thanks for looking!
Ivor

14 comments:

  1. That looks great. Look like fun to play on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If nothing else, the tables always seem to look good even if the guy running the games ends up making the game itself a trainwreck :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! You have been busy...and it looks superb! The Hydra banners a re brilliant. I shall look forward to seeing your Pulp Alley leagues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate it Gordon! Super pleased with the banners, pretty neat effect with the tin foil :) Creating the leagues should be fun, I'll definitely be looking to you and Bill for suggestions on how to improve them.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful and creative job, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! Hopefully the next update with detail work will be even better.

      Delete
  4. Looking very good: your usual attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! And where have you been?! I haven't seen an update from you in quite a while?! Hope things are good :)

      Delete
  5. Brilliant work, and all the LFC stuff is awesome! YNWA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appreciate it Rodger! Yeah, Liverpool stuff found all throughout the house! Even have a few scarves that make their way out to the barn every once in a while to hang on the stalls :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesomesauce. Great work Ivor ... those Hydra banners really add a great touch! Glad it is all working out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Fingers crossed, still lots to do :)

      Delete
  8. Looks a awesome creation ! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Stefan!
      Apologies for the late response, I never saw a notification 🙁

      Delete