Thursday, February 6, 2020

4Ground Nanhai Trading Post


I actually completed this kit way back in November but have been unbelievably busy (more on the myriad  of reasons why in my next post) and haven't had internet access either so it's taken me this long to just get this simple post together.


And because I completed the kit right before the big move to South Carolina (until May of 2020), I wasn't able to do any kind of customization - and there is a lot of really neat opportunities for them too.


One of the biggest being some ropes and buoys around all these docks and walkways, and around the porch of the building. I think it would really add a lot visually and story wise.


This kit is by far one of my favorites from 4Ground. After years of simple and basic buildings 4Ground are finally getting in a lot more of the little details that I've been wanting and asking for (and have even added myself on older kits), like shutters, variations on interior walls, and roofing details just to name a few.


As with all 4Ground kits you can expect lots of interior play areas and this one doesn't disappoint - even a wrap around porch that adds even more play possibilities.


Again, more time and I could have added some fun customization to the interiors.


I threw my model of Jonah Hex from Great Escape Games onto the dock to add a little southern flavor as the building has a feel of being in a swamp or bayou.


Which is why I decided to put it on a water mat, though it should be much dirtier water if we want it to be a swamp πŸ™‚


In addition to the ropes, I think some weathering along all the support posts would add a lot visually. Barnacles and algae would be perfect if I go with a water environment, which I'm definitely leaning towards for the building.


Lots of really great possibilities for this building and can't wait to figure out where best to utilize it.


As always, thanks for looking and for sticking with the blog during the long absence.

Cheers!
Ivor

28 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That's a bit special. Could use this for my Congo games too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! Yeah, you're absolutely right, I didn't even think about something like Congo. It would be perfect πŸ˜€

      Delete
  2. That is a superb looking kit. Should make for some fun games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great kit Ivor & I really like your ideas for jazzing it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Frank! The only question is when that jazzing can actually happen...

      Delete
  4. That looks like it has loads of potential. Looking forward to seeing how you use it in games, in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is nice, only their WWII stuff is a disappointment for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George! I think that there is a lot of potential with that range that could be done to make the kits not so "samey". The two corner buildings from the WWII range are really nice though πŸ™‚

      Delete
  6. That's a great kit and one with a lot of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, lovely kit, great additions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 4ground makes some cool stuff. I got a lot of their dark ages stuff. This looks like a great kit. It would be perfect over some muddy water. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Stew, I like that Dark Ages stuff too (along with the Fabled Realms line too). Muddy water and savannah grass looks to be top choices for me right now πŸ™‚

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Kinda sorta lol! I figured I should start back with something simple and positive (thank goodness this was completed before the move) before I actually write about the debacle of why the long absence and also my lost box of figures - which is still missing as of today 😫

      Delete
  10. The kit looks good, it's a bit big for my limited storage options but would be nice to have otherwise.
    It's good to have you back, sounds as if it's been a bit traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John πŸ˜ƒ
      Yeah, you have no idea, traumatic to say the least.

      Delete
  11. Needs some gators, bullfrogs and nasty water moccasins. :) Fab looking kit mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant call outs Dai! Much appreciated πŸ˜ƒ

      Delete
  12. Excellent work. I have the same building and my plan is to use it for a game based on the John Wayne film, 'Donovan's Reef'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin! That sounds very interesting, can't wait to see what you do with it πŸ˜ƒ

      Delete