Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Chewbacca and R-5D4 Star Wars Legion


While on this painting binge I've been trying a lot of different techniques to try and improve my painting overall. And one of those new techniques has been wet blending.  The Chewbacca model from Star Wars Legion was the perfect choice for trying out this technique with all of his fur.


I was already basically finished with the model when I remembered maybe I should take a photo or two, so apologies there are no WIP shots - which, to be honest, thinking ahead to more future Star Wars posts, WIPs photos were something I totally forgot to do.


I watched several videos on wet blending and ultimately found Sorastro's guide incredibly helpful. If you're currently painting anything Star Wars I highly recommend giving his channel a watch. He's an incredible painter and has helped a lot in giving me new ideas to try.


The final highlights completed and the clear base attached.


I couldn't be more pleased with how Chewy turned out considering my history with a paint brush. I also painted up a few of the containers from the Legion battlefield expansion that look the business I think.


And as I've been painting in two's I also finished up R5-D4.


The droids are slowly becoming some of my favorite models to paint - despite me making a meal out of the orange line around the bottom of the droids head. I really need to touch up that spot on his left side.


And finally, just for the heck of it I entered my Samuel's Garage kit into a little contest that 4Ground were having a few weeks ago and I actually won?! A bit mad really but that felt pretty good. I won a 100£ gift voucher which I think is going to go to some 15mm buildings - I really only play in 28mm, but I've had a huge box of old Flames of War models sitting for years and I think I might want to give Too Fat Lardies "What A Tanker" a go using all those old tank models I have. A project for next year perhaps.

Until next time, thanks for looking!
Ivor

22 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Ivor. Chewie and the droid look awesome. You've every right to feel pleased at the final results :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice models and a well deserved win.
    Looking forward to seeing the new buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chewie does look the biz, whatever wet=blending is, you've cracked it and I wouldn't be too hard on yourself re the droid he turned out looking excellent too.
    Congratulations on winning the competition, your garage really did deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Joe! That bit of a goof on R4 will continue to bother me though until I fix it - or mess it up worse 😀

      Delete
  4. The garage certainly deserves a prize! There is so much detail and stuff going on in that, the pics probably don’t do it justice. 😀
    Great job on the miniatures. Careful not to start enjoying painting now, that way leads to madness and obsession over highlights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for kind words Stew! I will actually agree 100% about the photos, and I really do wish I had something that could take some much improved images.
      Believe me, that is indeed a path I don't want to go down 😀

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on Chewie and R5 Ivor, they've turned out really well.
    A very well deserved win on your garage, all the detail and weathering really elevated the building

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave 😀 Looking forward to working on some more 4Ground kits in the future.

      Delete
  6. Excellent work Ivor & well done on the win, as to why you were surprised by it I can't imagine as it was a smashing piece of work & like Dave said above well deserved:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot of Frank, very kind of you to say 😀

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on winning 1st prize with the garage, it is an outstanding bit of work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well heck - congrats Ivor! And the painting is looking good my man! Tis the season for some Star Wars! I was binge watching Clone Wars while painting/basing the last couple of weeks ... not a good time to walk into a game store and see the new SW Armada Clone Wars stuff ... ahhhH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jay! Yeah, Star Wars is really back on the rise, especially with Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau piloting the ship 😀
      I'll tell you what's way worse than a store with new Star Wars products is all the amazing stl files that are out there!! Our club owner bought a resin printer a couple months ago and I've been straight out of control buying SW model files for the club lol Skullforge for the win 😀
      Hopefully I'll get some of those painted models posted up in the next few weeks.

      Delete
  9. Chewie and the droid are once again, spot on. For not enjoying painting for so long, I for one am everso happy to see you finding a joy in it and the results are paying off!

    Congrats also on the competition win! Definitely deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Dai 😀 Painting has always been a bit of a chore for me but recently it has actually been fun - hopefully that will continue because I've got quite the mountain of unpainted lead that needs completed lol

      Delete