Monday, February 21, 2022

Frostgrave White Gorilla


Every once in a great while, and truthfully it doesn't happen very often, I actually paint a model that I'm incredibly happy with. Well, this is one of those rare models. 


I picked this model up by North Star miniatures years ago as originally I had this grandiose idea for a Jonny Quest Arctic game with several Yetis and possibly a monastery like in the old cartoon episode "Monster In The Monastery".


In my continued attempt to get through old models I grabbed this figure from a box and got him primed. Obviously it's not a difficult model to paint,  but I think that it's the subtle use of the black paint in the recessed areas of the fur that make the model pop.


I actually painted the recessed areas themselves as opposed to throwing a wash over the entire model and I think that is what is making the difference visually. 

A short quick post 🙂
Until next time, thanks for looking!
Ivor

14 comments:

  1. Brutal looking beast. I like the paint job. He’ll do well terrorizing any table, not just frosty magical ruins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! Could easily see him in on that Congo/Tarzan table bursting out of the jungle 🙂

      Delete
  2. A hand little chap to have around for lots of different types of adventure Ivor & going the extra mile by using paint instead of washes for the depth in the fire really paid off 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Frank, I'm not even sure what made me grab the paint as opposed to the Nuln Oil because that's pretty much the default last step whenever I paint - even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes lol

      Delete
  3. Looking at the larger images of this figures, it's no wonder you're a happy chap with this paintjob, great sculpt too btw, one I can;t recollect seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Joe! Agreed, the sculpt was the only reason he even made it to the shopping cart 😀

      Delete
  4. Excellent work Ivor, the deeper colour in the recesses really makes him pop, keep trying new things mate, it's really paying off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave! I think that's definitely something that I really need to try to embrace more, but I'm sure as you know most of us fear that change and just continually resort back to what we've always done and comfortable with and never really improve. In a time in my life that is just filled with all kinds of change, here's to trying new things this year lol!

      Delete
  5. Nice job! He looks suitably ferocious!
    Yes, once in awhile I’m proud of a paint job of a miniature but usually I’m just “glad that lot is done “ but I’ve never really enjoyed painting figures. However, if I make some terrain I’m usually inordinately pleased with myself. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! I'm right there with you, I don't particularly enjoy figure painting, anything that gets completed 100% is victory regardless of quality 🤣

      Delete
  6. Another worthy miniature! I don't have this figure & used ones from a Reaper Bones kickstarter I had. Kept them in their natural dark colours, for as much as I love Frostgrave, I won't ever do winter stuff which limits their use. We just use the term "big friggin gorilla" instead of White Gorilla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Terry! I think I like "big friggin gorilla" much better 🤣

      Delete