Sunday, June 10, 2018

Out Of The Night, When The Full Moon Is Bright...

Comes the horseman known as Zorro!


Disney's Zorro television show from the late 50's starring Guy Williams is an absolute favorite of mine. When I came across these brilliant figures from Boot Hill Miniatures (Malamute on the LAF) I had to pick them up. When attending and running a few games at this years Historicon event was still in the cards, a Zorro game was right at the top of my possible choices to do.



I had an initial idea of doing all the figures and terrain in grays to give the illusion of the black and white television show.


I went back and forth on that idea for quite a while, but didn't want to pigeon hole the figures and buildings into one game - especially when I know that the buildings can be used in several other genres/games.


This is such a great pose and really reminds me more of the Anthony Hopkins version of Zorro from the movie The Mask Of Zorro than Guy Williams.


I really like the details of the hat.


Next up are the mounted versions of Capitan Monastario and Sgt. Garcia.


Again, some really nice details on the Capitan's jacket as well as the swords.


And the dismounted versions - Sgt. Garcia's pot belly is a perfect likeness!


A couple of guards.


You can't have a Zorro scenario without some helpful priests - these two are actually from Warlord Games.


These four peons are probably my favorites ofthe whole lot. I need to pick up the rest of the line too, the female civilians and the mariachi band - soon :)


I also grabbed a few casualty figures, even though they are actually Mexican Army figures - the hats don't match the other figures.


And a non-hobby photo - we've been overrun by baby rabbits around the farm this year. I  caught this little guy checking out the inside of the barn the other day when I was taking the horses out :)

More walkers from TWD All Out War on deck next, with my first ever attempt at a custom Ivor figure after I took a bath with a toaster following Liverpool's Champions League final debacle lol!

Until next time, thanks for looking!
Ivor

14 comments:

  1. Cool figures and paint jobs. Liking the clear bases as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Simon, my friend Arthur worked on these and did a brilliant job. Yeah, I'm 100% sold on clear bases, everything I do going forward except for rank and file stuff will be getting clear bases. I'm waiting on a new tool to make my own so I'll have really thin bases as opposed to these 1.5mm ones - we'll see how that works out :)

      Delete
  2. They're excellent looking sculpts, and you've given them a top notch paint job Ivor (the "greys" idea was neat, but these look SO good in "techno colour"!)

    No comment about Liverpool's performance :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Greg! As mentioned above, Arthur did a great job on these - though we do have a very similar style and probably why I have no issue sending him figures to paint. Ah yes, 'pools Champions League woes... I think you'll get a kick out of the undead Ivor in a Liverpool kit though :)

      Delete
  3. Great stuff! The perfect subject for some fun skirmish games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Bill! Just need to find the motivation to put a solo game together so I can actually push them around the table.
      Hopefully things are good on your end, it's been forever since I've seen an update - I want to see more of the ship you were working on 😃

      Delete
  4. Like yourself Ivor I to was a big fan of the TV Zorro as a boy, you've done a wonderful job of bring all the models to life they look fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a fantastic show! And it still holds up today really well - I grabbed the two sets from the library to watch and was pleasantly surprised. There are some episodes on YouTube as well if you want to reminisce at bit.

      Delete
  5. Sorry Ivor, I pressed the wrong button and lost my comment, suffice to say this is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I fully understand - I've been having incredible difficulties with the internet for months now and it's caused nothing but frustration every time I turn the computer on.

      Delete
  6. These are fantastic. I couldn't remember most of the details of Zorro but, I recognized Garcia right away. Takes me back too. Either Saturday afternoons or The Great Money Movie with Eddie Driscoll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HP! Nothing better than tv on a Saturday back in the day 😃

      Delete