Sunday, January 10, 2021

Cobb Vanth Star Wars Legion



So I went upstairs into the studio last night to continue working on the MV Australis for Dave Stone's "Paint What You Got Challenge" and totally got sidetracked when I moved my Star Wars Legion figure case and saw Cobb Vanth on top.


Even though I didn't touch anything that I originally planned on doing for the evening I did complete Vanth 100% and a couple of Lord of the Rings models (below) which I'm calling a big win, especially for the guy who has a really difficult time completing anything to 100%.


This is another 3D printed model from Skullforge that Jeff did on his resin printer.


It's an awesome sculpt and I absolutely love it, but there is another sculpt out there of Vanth without his helmet and the likeness to Timothy Oliphant is incredible, so I'm going to have to track that one down too and have Jeff print it up.


The only hiccup I had was with the helmet, as there was the targeting rangefinder on the side but I broke it while trying to clean up a support by it. Kind of a bummer but oh well, maybe I'll try to make one out of some spare styrene. 


These couple of photos on the terrain really show why I absolutely love my thin bases, you can hardly even tell it's there.


I made it up to the club last week and was finally able to switch all my Stormtroopers to my thin bases and decided to set up a little scene in our ever growing diorama with Chirrut Imwe. I don't think those Stormtroopers stand a chance lol!


I also wanted to post a couple of pictures on my solution to the cards on the table for initiative order for games like Dead Man's Hand and The Chicago Way. I ordered some children's party favor playing cards from Amazon, used my hole punches for making my bases to cut out the card numbers and then glued them onto old MDF bases. I finished them off by painting the backs black.


So now instead of the cards on the table next to your model you can now have the tokens there, alleviating that bit of an eye sore that is a complaint of some people.


It works a treat and I'm really happy I finally completed that little project, as it's been one that has been sitting for quite a while.


Here are those Lord of the Rings models I painted up rather quickly. Fun models, and even though they have a really simple paint scheme, the effect is great. Now to finish the other 37 and get them on the thin bases.


And finally you may have seen that I've got my new header on the top of the blog, well kind of - I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it fit in the space, which is extremely frustrating.


Many thanks to my brother from another mother Jay White who whipped up these designs in a matter of no time and sent them to me a couple days ago after seeing my rebranding post last week. I'm still waiting on my other designs so I think these will more than likely be what I use going forward. So thanks again Jay!

Until next time, thanks for looking!
Ivor

14 comments:

  1. Great work on Cobb Ivor, I did see your group shot on Facebook in the Star Wars Legion group.
    Nice idea with the cards certainly takes up a lot less space.
    You can include Cobb, and your LOTR as part of your challenge if you want, as it's all about getting models finished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave 😀 Yeah, Jeff sent me a text about the FB post, it's a bit mad because if I would have posted the photo it probably would barely get double digit likes lol
      I think that I want my main focus to be the MV Australis but that's great that I can add other things as well, it's nice to change things up if you get stuck or find inspiration somewhere else.

      Delete
  2. Awesome stuff, Ivor. Cobb Vanth looks terrific and I love the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea for the DMH activation chits!!

    For the logo, try adding plain grey space to the left/right ... the image likely wants a specific aspect ratio. I'll check it on mine and see what I can do for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff Ivor, love the idea for the cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3D printing has come a long way, what a suerb looking figure and your great bruswork really brings him to life ! Wonderful idea with the counters, that must be some hole punch you have !
    The banner looks great too btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! I continue to be amazed at what comes out every single day for 3D printing, it's incredible. Those hole punches are definitely the work horses of the studio lol

      Delete
  6. Great activation solution and I love Oliphant's representation in miniature. I was surprised to see him in the show and really liked his character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Dai! Oliphant was brilliant, I really liked how he was similar in a way to his character in Deadwood. I would love to see him come back in a future season but realistically don't see it happening.

      Delete