Saturday, February 6, 2021

Dead Man's Hand AAR Zorro Saves The Day



I got up to the club again last week for another game of Dead Man's Hand with Jeff. We had such a blast with the last game that I really wanted to play again but try something a little different and something a little more pulpy and swashbuckling, so I brought out my Zorro models from Boot Hill Miniatures and had a bit of a think about a narrative scenario. 


The night before I threw on the old Disney Zorro television show with Guy Williams into the DVD player to get some ideas for what the game could be about and right from the first episode it was easy to come up with Zorro saving someone from being jailed for speaking out on the high taxes. So I painted up this poor fella from Great Escape Games and had him be the objective. Really pleased with how he came out too.
 

Here are some photos of each side - the good. I thought it would be fun to be able have three of the five be on horseback to start if Jeff wanted. Depending of course on what his plan of entering the town would be.


The bad. Capitan Monastario, with his sword raised would lead the Lancers. I had two mounted options for myself with the Capitan and Sergeant Garcia.


Our favorite pot bellied sergeant, Demetrio Lopez Garcia.


And the ugly. Casualty figures is something that I always have to have whenever I am playing a game. 


I had a bit of fun and just threw some civilian figures around the village to liven it up a bit.


A couple of priests from Warlord Games. If things began to go pear shaped for Zorro I figured these guys could jump in and maybe help turn the tide for the good guys. 


Since his clothes fit the style of the table I had to put Fezzik from 'The Princess Bride' over by the wood piles 😀


Pedro the Peddler at his market stand.


This mariachi  band and dancer are some of my favorite models from the entire Boothill line.


The town elders anxiously awaiting Zorro after ringing the church bell for help. 


While I was in the box that had Fezzik I also grabbed Wesley, aka The Dread Pirate Roberts. Since I was working with another mask hero I thought that I would try a bit of hobby and put a mask on him, as they are terribly comfortable - allegedly anyway.


I used blue painter's tape as I didn't want to mess about with green stuff and all things considered I think it works - and the bonus is I can pop it on and off with no issues.


Here's a overall view of the table.


I had my entire force around the tree by the fountain with only Sgt. Garcia mounted on his horse, but I did have Capitan Monastario's horse tied up close by just in case I needed to get someone else on horseback quickly.


Zorro and two of his Legionnaires entered on horseback through the main gate, while the other two attempted to jump over the walls from the west and the north behind the stable.


The glamour shot before the chaos ensued. Unfortunately, as always happens when I play a game, I got so caught up in actually playing that I forgot to take pictures so the following will be just some of the major highlights, but believe me there was a whole lot more action that happened - we even had a great cinematic moment with a Lancer jumping off his horse and tackling a Legionnaire over by the black stagecoach.


Once Zorro entered the town he immediately jumped off his horse and began to work his way towards poor Juan who was about to be lead away to jail by the Lancers.


Capitan Monastario saw this happening and immediately made his way around to try to stop Zorro. I used several interrupt cards to both give myself an extra movement action as well as bonuses to a pistol shot, which dealt two wound markers to the fox.


Zorro and Capitan Monastario had an epic battle with clashing swords through two full turns.


The fight went back and forth, wounds taken and wounds healed on each activation, with both coming close to being taken out of the game but Zorro prevailed in the end.


This Lancer was my MVP, he took care of one of Zorro's Legionnaires (peaking through the broken wall in the back) with his rifle. He then jumped on that horse behind the blacksmith and quickly made his way to help at the front gate. Knocking one Legionnaire out on the way by jumping on him from the horse (referenced above) and then taking out another Legionnaire with his rifle. 


Meanwhile, Sgt. Garcia on horseback galloped to the front gate to help.


A Legionnaire taking out a Lancer right next to where Capitan Monastario fell.


Over two turns I was able to take out two of Jeff's models here and feeling a bit overconfident I had Sgt. Garcia make his way into combat with Zorro, swords clashing again. 


I was this close to taking Zorro down with Sgt. Garcia with this roll! That 20 was teetering on coming up but fell back and I was left with a 2 and a huge opportunity missed. Of course the next activation Zorro took out Garcia.


It was carnage personified here near the wagon and front gate with a total of six figures being taken out of the game there.


In the end our masked hero in black prevailed and will be back to right injustice again where ever it may end up on my 6x4 tabletop in the future.

Until next time, thanks for looking!
Ivor

28 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking scenery, and figures Ivor, the perfect set up for a game of cinematic proportions, and by the sounds of the action, it didn't miss a beat on that either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Dave! It was a lot of fun, hopefully we can continue to play some more DMH in the future 😀

      Delete
  2. Very impressive looking game. I can see why you get so engrossed that you forget to snap a lot of pictures. 😀
    I didn’t realize that DMH could be used for Zorro. That’s very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew 😀 I switched around a couple of things to keep with the period, like all firearms were one shot only so you had to reload after shooting. And I enhanced the hand to hand combat a bit to represent the sword fighting - more play testing needed to get it right but fun nonetheless.

      Delete
  3. Awesome battle report my friend! Ok, blood pools ... drool! Love that idea ... damn!!! Andre the Giant!!! Princess Bride characters!! Great job Ivor! 20's ... lol ... I can't roll 20's ... hell, I think I got a 19 once ... but that might have just been two separate dice next to each other, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jay! Yeah, those little pools of blood are a fun little addition to the casualty figures - just paint on those clear bases I use. And I can position them anywhere under the casualty figures to make it look like the wound is in a specific part of the body and also how bad it was by pulling the base out further from the model leaving more blood showing. Yikes, that sounds pretty bad re-reading that lol 😬
      Inigo Montoya almost made his way onto the table to represent a sword wielding Legionnaire too 🤣

      Delete
  4. Sounds like lots of fun, and links superb! I love all your set dressing, including the bodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I'm all about the little details on a table 😀

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. No worries mate, I knew what you meant 😀

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, appreciate you taking a look 😀

      Delete
  7. Oh, sweet Lord! That's looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous and very atmopsheric, congrats, I do like the mariachi band and Sergeant Garcia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Phil! Yeah, love those Boothill Miniatures, especially the mariachi band 😀

      Delete
  9. There you go Ivor, no sooner do you change the name of the blog then you post up a real Saturday morning showing 😊 wonderful stuff mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! You're right, Zorro was a proper Saturday morning serial 😀
      Thanks mate!

      Delete
  10. Just brilliant looking stuff. Really jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great looking setup and what sounded like a very fun game.
    No doubts there was a lot of twists and turns to the outcome, but good tirumphed over th bad in the end !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Joe! There were a couple of close moments for our hero in black but as you said good triumphed 😀

      Delete
  12. That El Zorro is a cheeky sod. Fantastic looking game!

    ReplyDelete