Sunday, July 14, 2019

Historicon Day 3 The Finale


The final day of Historicon - there are always a handful of games on Sunday morning,  but unofficially the event is over on Saturday. 




It felt to me like Saturday wasn't as busy as Friday was and there were a lot of the same games being run from the day before too - but I will say that I played in a game and was in a couple of Hobby University classes so maybe that is why I felt that way.









That amazing Pegasus Bridge game was being played again and this time the sun hadn't gotten around to that side of the building so I was able to get much better photos. This table was an absolute highlight of the entire event.
















I got over to Jason's (aka Doctor Merkury) fantastic G.I. Joe pulp game for a few minutes and it looked like everyone was having a blast - and I had taken three more photos but I must have been moving my hand as they were all blurry, so here's a link to his blog with a ton more photos of the Brew Up In Benzeen. I wanted to say "hello" and let him know I was the Saturday Mornings guy but didn't want to interrupt his game 🙂





How cool was this table - a four level river boat fully accessible!!



It's always fun to see zombie games have just a wall of the undead like in a movie.










And finally, I found this quite interesting and thought I'd share. I noticed this building on my first day because it literally looked like a castle, so I was like "what in the world is that?" - turns out it's the Lancaster County Prison. Right in downtown and right next to a park no less?!?!

I'll do one more Historicon wrap up post and then on to cleaning up some posts that have been in draft mode for months. And then figure out if I'm going to try to build another table/game for Historicon 2020 - but I think for certain if I do decide to do it I'm going to need to have a partner, and why I'll discuss in the wrap up post.

Hopefully all the photos over the past few days have helped to convey the size and scope of the event 😀

As always, thanks for looking!
Ivor

24 comments:

  1. Some more great tables Ivor, it really is amazing to see the imagination & the effort people put into these things :) sadly Ireland been a small place we never have shows like these so I always love seen pictures from the different events, so thanks for taking the time to post so much over the last couple of days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Frank! It was fun to post them up for everyone 🙂

      Delete
  2. What a weekend it looks like you had. I am incredibly jealous, but thanks for sharing. It's given me some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! I too got several ideas over the course of the event and can't wait to get back up to the studio.

      Delete
  3. Great reporting. By coincidence nearby Lancaster has a real castle which was a prison up until 2011.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated George! After seeing the county castle prison that doesn't surprise me in the least bit 😀

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised that these games are pseudo-unofficial as they're all very good indeed - superb terrain figures and very innovative;even if I've seen a riverboat with detailed interior befor (a long time ago) it's good to see that there are still excellent modellers out there!
    Thanks for the excellent reporting of the whole wee-end, you must be exhausted and probably a bit over-enthusiastic about (new and old)projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe! Definitely some top notch modelers on display throughout the convention - the detailed interiors on that riverboat was something else. You are absolutely correct, I'm excited to finally start finishing up some old projects and then starting new ones, so Historicon did exactly what it was supposed to do for me 😀

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting all these pics. Always cool to see what people are coming up with. Though I think because it’s historicon , people really bring their best efforts. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Stew! Happy to do it 🙂 You're absolutely right about people putting the extra effort into Historicon tables - I know several people who there major focus for the entire year is just the Historicon game, and not a lot else.

      Delete
  6. Ok - just going to comment here cause I just got done readying through all your posts in one go :-) Some great looking games there and some interesting thoughts. I'd still like to go one of these years but would find it very hard to justify going on a regular basis. Great to see LOTR was well represented. Still, seems lacking of the "grand eye candy" games I would expect. I shiver at the thought of entering the dealers room ...

    Thanks for the posts Ivor! Special shipment coming your way this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend! Dealers Hall or mortgage - seems like a no-brainer to me 🙂
      If I can help in any way to get you out here let me know - we have a guest room at the 'ol farmstead here that has had members of our equestrian Olympic stay in it so this way I can have someone with God-like status in the gaming industry stay here too 🤣 🤣

      Delete
    2. lol!! I may take you up on that one day... you can see how much of a horrible house guest I am! :-) Kidding! Ok ... I'm really serious about Historicon next year ... and some gaming either before or after --- can take some extra time. How far from Historicon are you?

      Delete
    3. My drive time was right at about five and a half hours unfortunately 😐
      Not terrible, but not a quick easy drive either.

      Delete
  7. So many wonderful games, truly inspirational stuff Ivor. You must be so pleased you went?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael! Absolutely, this trip was exactly what I needed - got to see several friends I'd not seen in a few years and have gotten inspired to get back on the 'ol hobby horse again 😃

      Delete
    2. That's brilliant Ivor, great to hear.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Michael! I will be looking to your blog for inspiration as well, just amazing stuff happening over there 😃

      Delete
  8. Awesome posts dude. Some cracking looking games going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Simon! We need to get you across the pond and over here for one too 😃

      Delete
  9. I've really enjoyed reading and looking at the pics from your visit to the show, it looks like it was well worth the trip. Some of the games and scenery it's truly awesome, thanks a lot for taking the time and trouble to post the reports, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John! It was really fun to be able to share the event with everyone and hopefully people got some ideas or inspiration by a photo or two 😃

      Delete
  10. Wow, so many different and superb tables to enjoy, suwh a fantastic event...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Phil, glad you enjoyed the photos!

      Delete